I have setup MS Dynamics AX 2012 R3 system on my environment. I am working on an article which shows the procedure to install AX 2012 R3. Till then, I have written a quick article which shows the steps to restore the Contoso Demo Data for 2012 R3 CU8.
- Download the “Contoso Demo Data” from PartnerSource and “Test Data Transfer Tool (beta)” for AX 2012 from InformationSource
- Extract the demo data files from DynamicsAX2012R3DemoData.exe to a specific location.
- The output folder will contain the files of following extension types:
- .OUT—– data file that contains metadata for AX transactional database
- .OutModel —- data file that contain metadata for AX model database
- .XML —- data file that contains AX table data.
- Install the “Test Data Transfer Tool (beta)” by double clicking AX2012TestDataTransferTool.msi and follow on screen instructions and complete the setup.
- After successful installation, the folder will look like as shown below:
- In the generated files above, you will find a XPO file – MetaDataXMLGenerator.xpo.Import the file in AOT, this creates a job.
- This XPO imports results a job inside job node under AOT.This job will generate Metadata.xml. This Metadata.xml will be created in window temporary folder.
- Path of file in metadata.xml can be get from info log which will appear after successful run of job.
- if you lost info log,You can get temporary folder path with following command echo %temp%. where you can get Metadata.xml
- Copied metadata.xml into [list] folder of test tool Data folder. If it already exists then overwrite it.
- Stop MS Dynamics AX service.
- Open Notepad and paste below command
E:\Software\AX2012TestDataTransferTool\dp.exe IMPORT “E:\Software\AXR3\DynamicsAX2012R3DemoData\DynamicsAXR3DemoData” MicrosoftDynamicsAx
Let me explain you mean of this command one by one
Test Data Transfer Tool Path and command to import data :
Demo Data Path extracted path :
Actual database name(Ax DB Name): MicrosoftDynamicsAx
- Save this Notepad file with BAT extension.
- Now Double click on BAT file and you will get the following screen.
- If we enter ‘Y’, then following screen will open up describing the count for importing the table data and Error (if they come up)
This process takes hours and hours with respect to your machine.I encountered few errors in the process but, nonetheless everything worked fine. After completion, I found demo data inside my dynamics Ax 2012 R3.See the screenshot below which shows the Contoso Demo Data loaded on AX 2012 R3.