The Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Data Import/Export Framework is an extension that helps you export data and import it into Microsoft Dynamics AX. Examples of the data that you can import include master data(customer,vendor), open stock, and balances.
Architecture of DMF:
1) Prepare Source Data
The file must have a header, which includes the field names identifying each data column.
2) Define type of AX entity to be used
Define entities that will be loaded to AX. For example, Customers, Vendors…
3) Mapping and validation of source file fields to staging AX fields
The DMF tool will allow you to map each field from the source file to an AX field in the staging table. The DMF uses the field names to map the fields in the staging table.
4) Transferring data from source file to the staging table
Once fields from the source file have been mapped to AX fields in the staging table data should be ready to be transferred to the staging table.
5) Transfer of data from staging to target AX destination
Once data has been reviewed and validated in the stating table, the data is then moved to the target AXentity and AX records are created.
1) Determine entities – DMF > Setup > Target entities
There is a set of predefined entities. These entities also include procedures to move data from the staging table to the destination.
2) Define the source data format – DMF > Setup > Source data formats
- Create a new data format
- File format: delimited by a character or fixed
- First row header: indicate if first row of the file, is a header row
- Row / column delimiter: which character will be used to determine the end of the line / column
- Text qualifier: indicates characters to encase text and commas
- Regional settings: regional settings for the file
- Role separator: used to indicate multiple entries, for example: 317-509 ; 508-999
3) Define the data format for each entity in the source environment
The data format can be a file that is delimited or fixed width, an ODBC data source, or a Microsoft Dynamics AX table
for more details read about Source data format in DIXF Data Import/Export Framework–Source Data format
4/5) Define the processing group / Source to staging table
- Create a new processing group
- Create a new entity and select the source data format
- Run business logic: two flags to enable the check for AX business logic
- Sample file path: the path of the file
- Generate source mapping: maps the source file against the staging table. If you use AX column names as your header, the DMF tool will automatically try to do the mapping
- Modify source mapping: the user can review and modify the mappings
- Validate: the validation ensure that all fields in the source file are correctly mapped to the staging table
- View target mapping: this option can be used to validate the mappings
- Preview source file: the user can view a preview of the source file before the file is copied to the staging table
- Get staging data: data is ready to be copied to the staging table. This button is used to start the process. A message indicate that the data has been copied to the staging table
6) Moving data from staging table to final ax destination
Select the “Copy data to target”